Monday, November 17, 2014

Ancient Church

By: Samuel Vicente 2

According to what I learned about this church, this is the first ever church established here in the Philippines. That It makes the Church the oldest in the Philippine islands. It is very famous though it is old. You wouldn't believe the scheduled weddings reserved here. For many people would like to get married here.

When I last visited Cebu, I went to this church and I am amazed for it is preserved well. The structure looks pretty well, and in good condition. While I was listening to the tour guide, she mentioned about the church being the oldest in the Philippines. Well, I was shocked for I cannot believe that this kind of church will last this long! Then I soon found out that it was true when I researched about it. 

When I went inside, I was even more amazed! Because the interior is much better than the exterior. It is very wide, with many statues, and perfectly illuminated. I was again amazed by the sitting capacity of the church, it can fit people up to 3,500 enter the church. 


But, my heart sank when I heard about the 2013 earthquake. It destroyed the church, including other old churches in the Visayas region. The quake was so devastating it destroyed the original structure of the church. This happened because the church is very old and made of weak materials, unlike the materials we have today.


Then there is a reason to be happy. For they restored the church to its original structure, and now it standing strong again.

No comments:

Post a Comment