Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Dried Fish Heaven

By: Samuel Vicente 3


Danggit is a very famous food at Cebu. It is the favorite breakfast of Cebuanos. Their mornings couldn't be perfect without having a danggit in their breakfast. It is salted and dried under the sun to be deep fried later on. 

During my stay at Cebu, every morning! I mean is every morning! I smell this particular smell next to my window; I also hear the crackling sound that something is being deep fried. At the first week I keep on ignoring it, until I got used to the smell. One day I curiously asked the Landlord of my apartment about what she always cook every morning. She showed me this dried fish that is so flat and smelly, “its called a Danggit” she told me. 

Afterward she showed me how to cook it and let me do the rest. While frying the danggit the oil keeps on jumping out of the pan into my arms, and it hurts a lot.
She also showed me how to eat it. We have fried rice, atsara, spiced vinegar, and eggs. 

She dipped the danggit in the vinegar and got some atsara then combined with egg, lastly put in the mouth with fried rice. I tried it and I was taken in to a journey in the ocean. The saltiness of the fish was so salty that it makes you think of the sea, and then the vinegar kicks in! It will leave a “Mukasim” in you! Afterwards the atsara, egg, and rice makes a good combination to make all of the taste goes around your mouth.

This was one of the best foods I tried here in Cebu. Even though it’s just a dried fish, it will tickle your taste buds. In just a small price you will be satisfied with your breakfast, with this small fish. In this particular dish I realized that smell, looks doesn’t matter in the food. It is the taste and satisfaction it gives to the food lovers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment